2007年12月14日星期五

The Best Medicine is From Within

Recently I visited one of our older patients at his home. I hadn't seen him for several months because he had been hospitalized and then was on a rehabilitation unit.
His psychiatric diagnosis is bipolar disorder, and he is stable on his medications. Mental illness has not been a major problem for him over the past few years. He also manages fairly well with blindness.
The real difficulty has been his deterioration due to multiple sclerosis. Just a few years ago, he was able to get around fine. Now he is unable to walk and has trouble with bladder and bowel control. His physical condition is much worse than it was the last time I saw him.
In spite of his deterioration, I was not surprised to see the broad smile on his face. He always has seemed to have such a positive attitude, and on this visit, he was no different. He delighted in telling me about his view of life, and how he feels that his spirituality and sense of humor are his best medicines. He said that people should accept their total situations and that adversity is the stepping stone to wisdom.
I wish I knew why this man has such a positive attitude. Was he born with these personality characteristics, or did he discover some way of being that has helped him cope with his difficulties? Is it something that others can learn? Are there therapies that can guide people to such a joyful reconciliation with their condition? I wish I knew, because I'd like to help others achieve it, too.
I left his house feeling inspired. I could see that he is able to rejoice in his abilities and not dwell on his disability. I think he did more for me than I did for him that day.

没有评论: